Saturday, May 1, 2010

Caramel: How About I Tiao Ta'ng in Front of You?

First thing first: I'm not a Christian, Buddhist, Taoist or Muslim. I'm a Non-committed Polytheist: meaning I pray to gods (not any one in particular) when I'm in dire straits (like when I want a limited edition Birkin so badly I hope it'd just drop from the sky) and I pretty much leave them alone most of the time.

The thing that perplexes me is, ever since I set up the shop, I've witnessed MANY Christians coming into the shop, sat down, ordered food, ate and then started doing this gather round the circle thingee and praising the lord thingee, sometimes they'd put hands on another member's head or shoulder like they are channelling some cosmic energy from one to another.

OK to be fair, they don't do it loudly but audible enough for other patrons to notice what they are doing and sometimes it does get a bit OTT with all the hand gestures to express their passion. At times they'd also raise from their seats, heads lowered, like they're discussing their next volleyball tactics. It's all very distracting when I'm trying to finesse my bacon sandwich with swirls of truffle oil and dainty sprinkling of salt and pepper.

I'm not against Bible study. But other than that shouldn't you be doing your emotional hail out loud in a church or a fellow member's home where there's more privacy? Because seriously so far I haven't encountered a Buddhist chanting Buddha's teachings in the shop or a Taoist suddenly go tiao ta'ng for divine advice.


Not to be done in public.

No comments: