Friday, April 9, 2010

Shih Chung Branch School: The Canteen

Ah the canteen, a place we most looked forward to between classes. The canteen was split into two sections, on the right it has all sorts of savouries and on the left, snacks. The savoury food was fully subsidised by the government so each student was entitled to a free portion of whatever that was prepared by the canteen auntie that day.

Of the snacks, aside from the wildly popular Mamee and Ding Dang, my favourite was dried olives which came in a pack of three. The savoury food I liked most was the mee rebus with tomato gravy. The canteen auntie didn't cook it very often so whenever it's available I'd have it twice (we had two recesses).

The canteen was also the place I had my worst meals: I've had curled-up millipede on my fried bee hoon (most likely fallen from the beam) and get this – half way through my bee hoon (at another occasion), I pulled out a cockroach leg from my mouth!

No comments: