Friday, April 9, 2010

Shih Chung Branch School: I’m Also A Princess

So I was a boy scout during Primary Four to Six. The Scout Master was Mr Yao, also the Disciplinary Head of the school. All those secret handshakes, knot-tying and commands are long forgotten but one incident:

There was a two-day Scouts' Camp we participated, held at a camp site which looked more like a jungle. I think all the boy scouts in Penang were there as I'd never seen so many scouts before. So it started pretty well with all sorts of activities, marching and games. Before long, we found out we had to take showers with a whole bunch of other kids in this open shower where you could see each other's XXX. I began to worry even though I haven't heard of the prisoner-and-soap-bar-on-the-shower-floor joke, but because I was generally quite shy.

During lunch, each of us was given a box of rice containing dishes cooked on site. When I got mine, as hungry as I was, I totally lost my appetite: within the box was some meat, veg, and a cooked giant centipede, with the rice dyed BLUE by the exotic dish. It must have gone into the pot or pan during preparation. I was given another box but the thought of contaminated dishes really wasn't appetizing.

Towards the evening, hunger and dreadfulness grew as it got closer to mass showing of XXX in the shower. And right on cue, I developed a fever. Not wanting to risk my condition worsening overnight, Mr Yao checked my body temperature and personally sent me home.

And guess what? As soon as I got home, my fever was gone! Maybe I was given a Panadol before that but I can't remember. I remembered having a nice dinner, a warm shower by myself and I slept like a princess.

No comments: