Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Shih Chung Branch School: A Brief History of A Bragging Loser

To give you an idea of how small the school population was: I won almost every competition there was: from sports to singing (people who knows me know I can't sing for shit) and from general knowledge to Chinese calligraphy (gasp!). I was either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd. And I've been awarded the role model student trophy, twice. And since Primary One, I've been in the top two of my class.

Bragging loser! I might as well have changed the first sentence to "to give you an idea of how smart I was..." or more aptly, "to give you an idea of how not smart I was..." because after Primary school, I didn't win a single thing while in high school! Zilch.

The school population was small: our class, consisted of approximately 35 students, was the largest. By the time we were Primary Six and ready to leave the school, Primary One has FOUR students. Those lucky kids had all the undivided attention from their teachers haha.

Anyways I think the enrollment rate declined due to the school's waning popularity (according to my mum at its peak the school had about 500 students and they had to limit new intakes), locality (there were many other schools nearby and people were moving into new towns) and funding (note the dilapidated ceilings and walls in some of the photos I post later).

In 1994 the land was sold and Shih Chung Branch School moved back to its main school at Love Lane. Total student population from the branch school in 1995 was 24.

In 1999 Shih Chung Branch School moved to its current location at Sungai Nibong and was give a new lease of life. As at January 2007 it has 1293 students in 22 classes.

Source: sjkcshihchung.blogspot.com

No comments: