Friday, October 3, 2008

Shih Chung Branch School: Indomie! Me! Me!

The first time I had instant mi goreng was in Shih Chung. My cousin, Teh Hee Hong, was in the same class as me (actually there's only one class for each grade, but more about that later). During one of the recesses, her mum brought her lunch while I was still waiting for mine. As she opened the lid of her square Tupperware (Tupper Bear, as we used to pronounce it) case, the most exotic and mouthwatering smell whiffed through the air and I was fixated! On seeing the hungry look upon my face, Hee Hong generously offered me a spoonful. MMMMMMMM... the memory of that most delicious mouthful of springy, semi-dried MSG-coated instant noodle never left me.

Of course I've had instant noodles before but they were all frugal varieties from Cintan and ...Cintan. Tossing instant noodles in sweet soy sauce with fried onion oil and MSG powder without diluting them with soup? Unheard of.

Hee Hong's mum, Auntie Tin, was kind enough to prepare two portions of that heavenly lunch, one for her daughter and one for me, for a week that followed. I was in taste bud paradise. Naturally I can't remember what my mum made me for lunch.

No comments: