Friday, October 3, 2008

Shih Chung Branch School: Elephant Tree

I returned to Shih Chung in 1982 as a primary one student. It was the 1st day of school and after my mum got me to my seat, she left. She promised she'd come back with my lunch during recess. I wasn't excited at all seeing all those new faces. I felt queasy. My mum told me I've always cried on my 1st day of school, at both the kindergartens I went to. So today I'm not gonna cry, I told myself.

I remember the classroom was very noisy. There were kids crying and kids running around. Before long this skinny boy seated on my left stood up, took out his belt and started to do the human helicopter maneuver. I stooped lower and lower, trying to get my head as close as possible to my desk to avoid being torn apart by the chopper. Alas! My effort was in vain and something hit my head pretty quickly, and hard (but not hard enough to cause a cut). Tears welled in my eyes as I looked at him to find out that he was swinging the belt with its buckle end outwards! I kept quiet and swallowed all those tears as the teacher entered the classroom. The boy's name is Lim Khoon Leong and that's how I remembered my 1st day at Shih Chung.

Of course I poured every bit of my guts out during recess.

No comments: