Sunday, May 30, 2010

I Challenge You to My Boliao-ness

About a year ago I read about one half of a couplet from a Hong Kong magazine:

叉烧叉叉叉烧烧
(Barbecuing the char siew by skewering it to a char siew fork)

The immediate thought of a corresponding phrase was:

烧卖烧烧烧卖卖
(Selling the siew mai while it's still hot)

But they failed as a couplet because the characters don't have the matching properties required of a couplet:

叉烧叉(noun)叉(verb)叉烧(noun)烧(verb)
烧卖(noun)烧烧(adjective)烧卖(noun)卖(verb)

And I've been thinking about a better phrase ever since (on and off, haha).

Yesterday morning, it came to me:

汽水汽汽汽水水
(Effervescing the soda water by carbonating it with soda water gas)

And the properties are:

叉烧叉(n)叉(v)叉烧(n)烧(v)
汽水汽(n)汽(v)汽水水(n)

NOOOOOOOOO!

Please help me with my boliao-ness. I don't want to be thinking about it for the rest of my life.

And while you are at it, you can read about 不肥佬

3 comments:

kuanth said...

hou mou liu loh!

Sin said...

The person reading also mou liu, what.

sokkuan tye said...

i am lost!